Monday, March 5, 2012

Retirement:
We all wonder if we can afford to retire, we calculate and worry and wonder how we will survive on less..We  wonder if we will go crazy with nothing to do, we hold off.. My advice...just do it.. for your sole. not your wallet. I'm poor  but happy.

The stars aligned for me, one day I was working in Calgary, The next I was retired and moving to Brasil.. This change of scenery, different climate, different language, forced me to new routines, nothing is the "same old". Maybe this is advice for those looking to retire.  Move!

I am a house husband, I clean, shop, cook, no time for boredom. I don't drive, I walk everywhere. Because I walk I need to shop every second  day or so.. Brasil has super markets, and they are becoming more popular, but they still have  butchers, Bakeries, green grocers, this is where I like to do my shopping, better stuff,  better service. A trip to the barber or cheese shop is more then a trip to buy something, I have to study the words I might need to use,  everything I do is an adventure, nothing I do is mindless. I am not bored, and never will be. This does surprise me and Cris, going from a workaholic to a Bum...we both thought after  3 months I would go nuts. The trick is to stay busy...


Here is a link to some photos of my neighborhood..  https://picasaweb.google.com/104024114949691259972/TheWalk?authkey=Gv1sRgCOfV0p3g1_ScfA
On the right is a Map of where I Took the pic, you can change it to satellite  view..

You want to retire to the Sun... you can do it.. I have some advice for you ...just ask...


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the advice...I am just not sure where the right place in the "sun" will be for us..so will continue with the adventure for awhile. I do like reading about your transition.
    Patti

    ReplyDelete