Friday, April 20, 2012

The Bus:

I have commented on the Bus'es in Brasil, and Others have written blogs about them. Catch a Bus in Sao Paulo and Onibus-tale-of-two-cities , but today I noticed something different, even though, Mario Andrette, or Arton Senna what ever the drivers name is, driving like he is about to poop his pants and needs a washroom, no one  but me seems to be hanging on for dear life, no one but me? I have a seat, on the shady side, it is important to get the shady side, if you don't want to cook and arrive at your destination with sweat stains from armpits to ankles. When you see a Brazilian bus remember It is not a suspension problem that causes a Bus to lean away from the Sun, it is because everyone is on the shady side. I am  being thrown all over and have 2  hands on the handle in front of me. Everyone else is relaxed, just kind of flopping around like fish in a net, or wieners in a boiling pot.. Then it hits me,  this is a "personal space" thing ( A concept they know nothing about in Brazil), they don't care if they touch someone  else, they don't care if they are swapping sweat on their arms, and thighs. Unlike me who is doing his best NOT to touch anyone, if I get anymore to the left I will actually be out the window, getting a knot in my shoulder from sitting sideways and hanging on to the front.OK  when in Rome.  So I let go, relax side of the bus supports me on the left, hairy smelly guy supports on the right..K  a little creepy but more relaxed, syphinkter not trying to take a bite out of the vinyl, kind of all right. Hmmm how much touching is OK....really..big hairy guy,  I'm using you for support, no need to get all handsy  on me, the toothless grin did it.. I'm going back to looking out the window two hands on the handle, a kink in my neck. F^*k Rome..

8 comments:

  1. Personal space is a concept of Canadians because we actually have space. I chuckled about your story as having traveled in China and on a bus in Mexico City personal space is way different ....
    The one thing that I haven't got use to is the smells on the buses or subways during summer seasons.....the only way to counter is to wear a scarf with a little perfume sprayed on it ...which I am sure you would look great in...lol..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure how I ended up with the name unknown? Probably didn't follow the rules when setting up my account...but the comments are from Patti...

      Delete
  2. Getting on the right side of the bus is essential. Agree with you about personal space issues. The concept doesn't exist here, simple as. I bring hand wash liquid in my bag when I get the bus. It's disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to do a story ( your such a good writer) on the " little Prince" Syndrome.. Where Male children are not allowed to grow up, where they are coddled and cared for is such away they can never be ready for life on their own.. Never in my life have I seen such a pack of us less people as young men in Brasil.. Never would they wash a dish, or clothes.. I am sure you have seen this..

      Delete
    2. Thanks Olidense. I know what you mean about what you call 'little Prince syndrome', I call it Man Child Disease. I lived in Boa Viagem for a couple of years and it sickened me to the core of my being.

      Delete
  3. In Rio, there was a guy who yelled at the bus driver. It was a first. The guy must have been doing 50mph in a 25 zone. The disgruntled passenger was a manly man and screamed at the driver saying there's a "senhora" on the bus and that the driver must be mentally incompetent. Everyone stayed silent, the driver slowed the fuck down. I lived to tell about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was he a Brazilian? Out of character for a brazilian to complain, unless it was his mother that was on the bus ( it seems ok if it is someone elses mother)..

      Delete
    2. Yep, it was a Brazilian dude. Probably 45-50 years old. No tall tales, I was happy *someone* said *something*. Driver was nuts...though not as crazy as a Colombian driver in Medellín who drove crazy with the back door open.

      Delete